Friday, June 08, 2007

Book Of Questions
by Gregory Stock.

I saw this book for sale for 10 Rs(less than 30 cents Australian) on a footpath junk store in Mumbai. One of my favorite places in those cash poor times to buy books dirt cheap. Rummaging through other old books, outdated catalogues , medical journals and Mills & Boon novels, I saw this pocket sized book with an odd title which was in surprisingly good condition . A sort of a misfit among other books there, on a whim I bought this and walked on to meet another friend who was to see me in a little while.

As I flipped through its pages filled with one line questions, I knew I had picked a gem. That day on the train back home and later that night I and my friend discussed and debated the questions in this book till early hours of the morning with sleep nowhere in sight. The same pattern was to be repeated over all these years that I have had the book. It sparked so many intellectually stimulating conversations that for a long time I used to always carry it around in my backpack to read in public places, and then use the questions in it to strike up conversations with strangers.

The book as the title claims is made up of questions. Questions that will bring you closer to yourself, your ideas, thoughts, feelings, morals and opinions. This is another excellent review of the book. You can also browse through a few questions here. Have a look here to see how many people consider this book an excellent conversation starter.

I sat with an acquaintance one evening with this book and some snacks and by late night and we were friends by the time we finished the book. The same guy would then go on to borrow this book and use it to know more and get close to his potential girlfriends. I myself would eventually use this book to know more about my life partner. I have had countless exciting conversations with family members, roommates, friends, friends to be, strangers, co travelers on trains, waiting halls and in short anybody who would talk to me, all because of the book.

If there is such a thing called "ENDURING VALUE" for a book, this book has plenty of it. Of all the over 300 books that I have at my place in India this is one of the few that I chose to bring with me when I came to Australia. My only regret is that the a couple of weeks after this book I had a chance to buy "The Book of Questions: Love and Sex," again by Gregory Stock, and I didn't buy it as I was a little short of cash, and I have regretted it ever since.

Gregory Stock, If you ever read this page, Thanks for writing the Book of questions.

5 comments:

Meenakshi Rehani said...

Thanks for this!

I bought it on your recommendation and am glad I did.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)

The Way I Am 2.0 said...

Hey Thanks for this review!

I'm really interested in buying this book because I desire to have more deeper relatonships with people in my life. How did you ask strangers, acquaintances, or friends to be these questions as some of these questions may be a bit random if asked out of the blue?

thanks,
Michael

Hari said...

HI Michael ,
I'd strongly recommend that you get the book, its worth its weight in gold . I have my copy and will have it for a long time to come.

Regarding asking strangers on trains and bustops, well most of that was in India, very easy to talk to strangers there. especially on long distance trains. You would meet as strangers and in a few hours leave knowing each other so much better.

Can't ask people out of the blue, but I find it quite easy to talk to strangers everywhere, Strangers are just friends you don't know yet.

Hari

The Way I Am 2.0 said...

Oh I didn't know people in India could speak english so well. I have never been to India so I wouldn't know. Thanks for your review!