Monday, January 29, 2007

Two for the Road
by Shirley Hardy-Rix and Brian Rix

56671 Kilometers, 27 countries, one dream is the enticing tag line of the book. I practically kissed the book when I found it just as I was browsing through the travel section Melbourne city library. I was so happy to have found the book that I read the complete book some 325 pages of it and their travelogue on the website in the next 24 hours flat. So that does say something about the book, doesn't it ?

This couple has done the sort of a ride every biker worth his name dreams of but never comes around to actually doing. Shirley and Brian are a police couple from Melbourne, with Brian being a Policeman and Shirley a crime reporter / writer. They shipped their bike to England and rode it back all the way overland from London to Singapore from where they flew to Darwin and rode further on to Melbourne.

On the way passing through 28 countries and sending 350 days on the road. They have a good website which typically covers all the sections in the book in a little less detail. So its worthwhile having a look here before you decide to buy the book.

The interesting thing for me is that, this couple too was motivated by another US couple passing through Australia on their RTW on a motorbike: Chris and Erin. When Chris and Erin stayed in Melbourne with them. Chris and Erin must have motivated hundreds of people in their journey spanning 4 years , I know at least of one another friend of mine, Srinidhi, who was inspired by Chris and Erin when they stayed with him, and who is doing his own RTW now.


This motorcycle travel bug is like an Epidemic, and spreads like wildfire when like minded people meet. I had felt so enthused when I hosted a Motorcycle traveler - Linda Bick at my residence in Pune. Good to see that Brian was motivated by Chris and Erin and set off. I really appreciate their guts to have left everything behind and take the step ahead to leave for an RTW, to follow his dream. I know most bikers dream of following in their footsteps someday.

The book as such is alternatively written by Shirley(writing a Major Chunk, the Impressions of the places , the people and stuff) and Brian ( writing the Bike part, its repairs, problems , navigation , procedures, etc). I found the writing pretty easy going good to read but at places very touristy.

They did have their fair share of interactions with locals, but the couple (being reasonably well to do, I assume) stayed most of the time in Hotels, resorts , etc . This luxury might have somewhat limited their exposure to the locals, but still the book is filled with experiences of hospitality received from strangers and some funny anecdotes and the like. The detailed description of the Race day at Isle of Man is too good, you can also have a look at their website to get an idea of what I am talking about.

The practical advice in this book would be really helpful for someone planning a similar trip, for example they describe in detail their battle with Singaporean bureaucracy and have One line of Strong advice for any one planning to ride on to Singapore " Don't do it " the paperwork and the troubles to take the bike in Singapore is simply not worth it, one would be better off shipping out from Malaysia.

Today I got a reply for My email to the Authors sent from their regular email address, the other email address that I sent my mail to is fairly inactive (I guess since they did the trip a couple of years ago). And yeah I forgot the mention , Hardy Rix, owns a classic Standard Enfield Bullet in Melbourne.

Considering the authors are based in Melbourne, I hope to meet them for coffee some day, will update my post after that experience.

No comments: