Saturday, February 17, 2007


Tuesdays With Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson


This is one of those few books that I have read more than 50 times now in the past 2 years, and every time I read and re read it it makes me think. It makes me enjoy the little things in life so much better, I feel when I am reading or thinking of it , I take time to look around and marvel at everyday sights around me. Life becomes slightly more enjoyable, I feel grateful that I have a healthy body and for all the little things that I don't notice normally.

I remember the last time I was reading this book at a bus stop early in the morning peak hours. For some reason there was a delay in buses and we were waiting at the stop for more than 25 minutes without a bus in sight. I was so engrossed in reading the book that I didn't notice the delay. And after a brief gap when I looked up the delay showed on the commuters faces, Everyone was alternatively looking at the road and back at their watches. It was not the perfect way to start a day 25 minutes late, and it showed on people's faces.

Me, Oh I was just glad it gave me more time to read this book the fiftieth time, and think about bigger things, not just sweat about mundane things like bus delays and work meetings. I was perhaps the only guy with a smile on his face in the bus that day, and all because I picked the right book that morning.

When I get lost in the mid numbing rat race of work-eat-sleep-work, this is the book to put things back into perspective, to keep track and bring back focus into the things that matter most. It becomes a lot easier to accept your own mere troubles when you read about a man whose body is freezing from the foot up but who still faces death with a smile on his face.


The books draws a very vivid image of the Morrie's personality as to how different and interesting he was. Here is a man who enjoys dancing, friends, conversations, teaching, relationships and who couldn't care enough about what are today established social norms and lived life by his heart. The Book is filled with his discussions with his student (the author Mitch Albom) when they talk about a wide range of topics like family, love forgiving, culture etc.

One particular example demonstrating Morrie's character struck me hard and I remember it distinctly and will reproduce it here as it gives an idea of what kind of a person he was.

Morrie goes to a local College's Basket ball game and is enjoying the game as it gets increasingly competitive. A group of students sitting in the stands supporting one team start shouting " We are number ONE! We are Number ONE!" and slowly with the game the shouting gets louder.
Morrie who is watching all this sitting near the kids is a bit ruffled by all this, Suddenly in between the chanting of "We are number ONE! " Morrie gets up and shouts "What's wrong in being number two ?"
Suddenly giving his question a little thought and having no answer to him everyone becomes silent, and Morrie sits down triumphantly, smiling .


The book is full of instances (like his funeral held before his death, the way in which he teaches classes, his interactions with patients in mental asylum, etc) and others like these which create a personality that you can't stop liking, and feel sorry for as you know here is a man who can see literally see and his life draining out of his body like sand passing through an hourglass. The Disease ALS, kills the patient bit by little bit starting from the feet going upwards, first cutting off motion / lower bods and then slowly progressing upwards as one by one the body is rendered useless from bottom up. The end comes when the disease reaches the lungs making each breath an ordeal till finally when the the person gives away. In spite of all this the way in which Morrie faces the situation should teach us all something about facing adversity.

In general its a very emotionally moving and well written book. I personally bought it 2 - 3 years ago and have recommended it time and again to friends. Best part of this for non readers is that this is a relatively short book i.e. less than 200 small size pages.

Also the very fact that I have read it more than 50 times tells something to you about it doesn't it ? read it I am sure you will come back and thank me ! Try this for a good preview and summary, but if you have read so far, do yourself a favor buy this book.

2 comments:

Meenakshi Rehani said...

Two things -

1. This is one of the best books ever written.
It's rare that I shed a tear for print.
And this moved me to more than one tear.
A book which has the power to do that, has to be extremely powerful.

2. This is an awesome blog!
im shocked that you have no comments! (or do you not allow any to go past your scrutiny?)

3. (Added bonus)I forget what I was gonna say in this point.
But I really liked this blog.
Am gonna link it if you wouldn't mind.

Hari said...

Fangs,(Rohan)

The Book is indeed Awesome ! as I said in the bog I have read it more than 50 times and there are only a very few selected books that I have read so very often.


And I am glad that you liked the blog, well I just keep it to track the books that I am reading and I must say I am not as judicious in updating it.

And as far as the no comments part , well this isn't one of the more popular blogs on the net so can't really help it. And there are a whole lot of things that come into play to get readers and make a blog popular and get comments.

You are more than free to link to it, it'd be my pleasure.