Friday, May 18, 2007

The Dilbert Future Thriving on stupidity in the 21st century
By Scott Adams

Let me confess as I start , I like Scott Adams. I am a big fan of his work and mad about Dilbert strips.

A couple of years ago when I sent him a mail on his very very public email address Scottadams@aol.com and thanking him for his book and saying that I enjoyed it,
and Lo behold of all the thousands of emails that he gets he found time to reply for my short email, it said

Thanks for reading it, Hari.
Scott
At first thought it doesn't look like a big deal, aren't writers supposed to respond to their readers, but well you would be surprised how many don't, Believe me I try and write to each and every writer whose work I read. And this response floored me. Here is an internationally syndicated writer whose cartoons get published in in 2500 newspapers worldwide in 65 countries and 19 languages with over 150 million readers with 26 books to his name and he finds time or cares enough to a poorly written email thanking him for his book, Now even if that reply was sent by someone in his office it still means he is bothered enough! This is much appreciated Mr. Scott Adams !

Of all the things I read, Dilbert is one from which I can get a guaranteed laugh every time even on every repeated reading. I am a self proclaimed member of the D.N.R.C (Dogbert's New Ruling Class) the official Dilbert Fan Club or rather a member of the group which will form the new ruling elite once Dogbert conquers the Earth.

Countless times I have spit out the food in my mouth , or jerked violently holding my stomach trying to control my laughter while reading his books. This one is no exception ! This one is a standard Dilbert book with a fair sprinkling of Comics and accompanying text giving on the theme of Dilbert's take on Future.

I have to agree that many of the chapters do not quite live up to the Dilbert Gold standard of wit and humor, nevertheless this is still a good read. The strips are just as humorous only the accompanying ramblings get a little dull at times. Again this is because I have excessively high expectations of his rambling having read The Dilbert Principle some years ago.

The unique thing about this book is the last chapter, "A New View of the Future" For this section Adams "turned the humor mode off" and discussed his personal philosophies on life , auto suggestion , ESP , gravity , and some of the other things which are way off topic in a typical Dilbert book. This chapter has enough food for thought and many would think that chapter alone would make the book a worthwhile buy. This would not be the funniest Dilbert book that I have read by a long shot but it is not what I would call disappointing.

Many readers would be surprised that Scott is even capable of writing something so off topic and serious like that, and believe me he can write well. In fact I would strongly recommend another serious novel by Scott Adams which is available free as an Ebook The God's debris.