Thursday, May 31, 2007

What would Wally do ?
by Scott Adams

I have been a fan of Comics for longer than I can remember. These are the the things that got me started into books, girls , better vocabulary , bad manners and I don't even know how many more things. Starting with local Panchatantra the Indian folk tales, Chacha chaudhary and Sabu, moving on to Archie , Betty and Veronica and Jughead strips.

My all time favourite comic is always a close competition between Calvin and Hobbes vs Dilbert depending on which one of these I read recently.

There is something about comics that make them especially endearing, they strikes a chord deep somewhere. It reminds me of little perverse pleasures of those pre-adolescent times when,
sitting on the last bench in a classroom sneaking in a comic book the day before your exams in between your school textbooks and reading and giggling to yourself while you are supposed to be studying.
Fortunately having grown up now , I don't have to indulge in such stealthy behavior to read comics. Because even if it takes such behavior I am up for it because I haven't had as much fun reading a book in a long while(and that was another Dilbert book)

As for this book in particular there is nothing distinguishing about this book as compared to other equally hilarious Dilbert books. This is a only Comic Strip book meaning it does not have any other funny text write ups by Scott Adams, just Comic strips of the Dilbert series, with one binding thread between them - "Wally" Follow the Wally link to get a complete bio of this Dilbert character.

Not all the strips in this book are new, meaning strips that I have never read elsewhere. I would say I had read maybe 30 ~50 % of the strips in this book earlier in other Dilbert books or on the Dilbert website.

I think all Dilbert books should come with a warning !

Do not read this book in public places, bus stops, trains or in front of anyone, if you do be prepared for the induhviduals to think you are an eccentric for laughing out so loud over a silly comic strip !

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks pretty good...

about laughing aloud, I remember my aunt hushing me up every time I started laughing in the library while reading tintin and asterix!

Hari said...

Yeah Sanjay,
Reading comics and such humorous books in libraries can be very difficult. You just can't control your laughter when you read thees things.

Hari